The Taj Museum came into being in 1906. It was established under Lord Curzon, the then viceroy of India. At that time it was two hexagonal rooms on the west side of the Taj Mahal's entrance. The museum then included old plans of the Taj Mahal, old photos of the splendid monument, Farmans (Royal orders), samples of stones used in the inlay work, Sanads (land records), and specimen of previous stones used in the Taj Mahal.
Currently, the Taj Museum, a double-storied building, is situated in the Taj Mahal complex. While the upper floor is used as an office, the ground floor, which is the museum, has a main hall and three galleries.
The museum houses relics broadly classified into Mughal miniature paintings, government decrees, manuscripts, specimen of calligraphy, arms, utensils, and plans. Drawings of the Taj complex and inlay works, along with two marble pillars from the Agra Fort, are also on display in the museum.