Umaid Bhawan Palace, one of the last of India's great palaces, and one of the largest in the world, was commissioned by Maharaja Umaid Singh (1918–1947) on Chittar Hill, southeast of the city between 1929 and 1944.
Named after the king, the palace is today the home of his grandson, Maharaja Gaj Singh II of Jodhpur. It is also in part a luxury hotel of immense grandeur. Built as a drought-relief measure among many other public buildings, dams, roads and schools, the palace construction generated employment for over 3,000 people for 15 years at a total cost of Rs 94,51,565/-.
Designed by Henry Vaughan Lanchester, a renowned Edwardian architect, the palace integrates many Indian architectural styles still imbuing Rajput traditions. This magnificent edifice, with 347 rooms, is one of the world's largest private residences. Converted to a hotel in 1978, the palace was thrown open to the public at large. The private museum attached to the palace contains a special exhibition on Maharaja Umaid Singh and the making of Umaid Bhawan Palace.
Housed here is also a special collection of antique clocks. The Lifestyle Gallery recalls life in the palace in the ’40s and ’50s with displays of art deco furniture, dining and writing sets, and a special sporting section. The Legacy Continues Gallery is dedicated to the present royal family and their interests.