The origin of the Taj Museum goes back to 1906 when it was established at the instance of Lord Curzon(Viceroy of India 1899 to 1905) in two hexagonal rooms on the west side of main entrance gateway to the Taj Mahal. Further, Khan Bahadur Maulvi Zafar Hussan, Honorary Curator and Superintendent, Archaeological Survey, Northern Circle, Agra made Valuable Efforts to develop this Museum. The exhibits of the Museum at that time Include old plans of the Taj Mahal, samples of the stone used in inlay work, old photographs of the Taj Mahal, a few coloured drawing, Farmans (Royal orders), Sanads (land records), specimen of previous stones used in the Taj Mahal.
Now Taj Museum, is housed in the Western Jal Mahal which is the part of the Taj Mahal Complex. It is a double storied building having a quadrangle projection outside in the centre of the middle of western wall and is build on a raised platform. Presently the museum galleries are upgraded accordingly with a view to highlight each subject.