Jayachamrajendra Art Gallery is housed in the famous Jaganmohan Palace built in 1861 by the then king Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar. Run by Sri Jayachamarajendra Art Gallery Trust, a public charitable trust, this gallery has quite an exquisite collection on display on its three floors. Japanese furniture, wood carvings, paintings, musical instruments and various other artefacts collected over decades find their home in here.
The gallery is most famous for having in its collection 16 original paintings by world-renowned painter Raja Ravi Verma. These include ‘Malabar Lady’, ‘Syrendri’, ‘Victory of Meghanatha’, ‘Lady in Moonlight’, ‘Sucking Child’, and ‘Harishchandra’, displayed on the first floor. Also on the first floor in its own special enclosure is ‘Glow of Hope’, a famous painting by Sri S.L. Haldenkar. Painted in water colours in 1945-46, the painting depicts a woman holding a lamp, the glow of which lights her up. Other artists displayed here include Nicholas Roerich, Peter Paul Rubens, Rama Varma, and Nandalal Bose.
The gallery also hosts works of local artists in the Mysore artist room, on the first floor, including works by artists such as K. Venkatappa, Veerappa, H.S. Inamathi, and N.S. Subbakrishna.
The musical instruments gallery on the second floor has in its collections beautifully carved mayuri veenas, dilrubas, wind harps, sitars, swarabat, and African drums.
The extension on the ground floor has some interesting sports artefacts including stone wheels, and wooden dumbbells. This section also houses beautifully carved wooden furniture, ivory objects, marble statues, guns, and swords. Old hand coloured photographs, portraits of kings and princes, also find place here